Marijke De Schepper is a Belgian born photographer living in Amsterdam. She has 20 years of experience as a film maker and photographer. To pursue her artistic ambitions, she enrolled as a student at the Fotoacademie Amsterdam in 2013 – from which she graduated in 2017.
“In my work, I focus on a diversity of themes that are inextricably linked. The feeling of being in between two worlds, of being there but not really fully present. The juxtaposition of things that tie me down versus real freedom. I search for those connections and reveal them, or sometimes reveal the quest itself.
I combine portraits of people, stills and fragments from nature. These combinations can be surprising, strange or simply beautiful. They create a story where my dream world and reality come together.. I aim for a poetic quality that creates a compelling flow through my work.
I allow myself the freedom to approach this concept of connectedness in different ways. Black & white, color, analogue or digital. I have a strong preference for close-ups and for images photographed without a context. When shooting people, it may not be to evidently clear where they are or if it is their natural environment. In this way I can freely combine the images with each other. By intuition, by content or by form.”
* Cover of the New Dutch Photography Talent 2018 book by GUP Magazine
* Awarded as New Dutch Photography Talent 2018 by GUP Magazine
* New 2018 x Brix organized by GUP Magazine, Amsterdam, 18 January – 28 February 2018
* New Photo 2018 - 5&33 Amsterdam, November 2017 - January 2018
* ALWAYS NOW graduation exposition, Loods 6, Amsterdam, December 2017
* Het Oog exposition Fotoacademie Amsterdam, April 2016 - July 2016
* Apituley & De Schepper in Kiekie Tabloid, Interview with Marijke De Schepper, March 2017
* Hello Gorgeous Magazine, number 22, Spring 2018
* New Dawn about Exposition New 2018 x Brix, January 2018
* i-D Magazine article about favorites Always Now exposition, December 2017
* Appelblauwzeegroen', book self published, 64 pages, offset, limited edition of 180, December 2017
* 4 pages in New Photo 2018 by GUP Magazine, November 2017
* 'Dreamer', cahier self published, 20 pages, 5 copies, November 2016
* Photography, Fotoacademie Amsterdam, 2013 - 2017
* Film Direction & Production, Open Studio Amsterdam, 1997 - 2000
* Spanish Language & Culture, Universidad de Málaga, Spain, 1996 - 1997
* Psychology, Radboud University Nijmegen, 1993 - 1997
* History of Art, Ghent University, Belgium, 1992 - 1993